zondag 6 november 2016

A finished curtain (ahem) quilt

In my previous post, I talked about how my colleague, who became a grandmother, asked me to make a quilt from some leftover curtain fabric for her granddaughters baby room. After making the quilttop, I was at first determined not to spend too much time on this quilt. After all, there is a small baby waiting for it and I don't really have the time to hand-quilt it.  Wouldn't it be easier to just machine-quilt straight lines through it? Stitch-stitch-stitch and stitch-stitch-stitch. Done. You see? I can actually finish a quilt in just two weeks!


Then I had another look at it. And I thought: naaaaah, not good enough. It needs something more. It needs hand quilting, no, it was actually screaming for some hand quilting. And so I obliged the screaming quilt.


I quilted around all the animals, the trees, the triangles and the leaves. And I liked it. But it took me three months extra, and baby is not a baby anymore but almost a toddler... Let's hope they haven't already changed the curtains in her room...



For the back, I chose a new Ikea print, very colourful and bold but the same style as the curtain fabric. It was a bit thicker though and that made it harder to hand quilt. The binding is made from a Denyse Schmidt fabric and also hand sewn.


Tomorrow, I'll take it to work and give it to my colleague. Let's hope she'll like it...

2 opmerkingen:

  1. I think she should love more it because of the hand quilting. I think it adds the extra, perfect touch. Even if the baby is almost a toddler, it will still cover him/her for a nap.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. It’s really beautiful and the hand quilting adds even more! I love the fabrics you have chosen for this quilt!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...